Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can social media save broadcast television?


A few nights ago I had an interesting conversation with James Burnes of Mobiltopia.  It was all mobile integration and apps.  Quickly the conversation turned to television.  Apps on TV.  I knew it was happening but had not done much research.  He mentioned that several TV manufacturers are rolling out TV's capable of running apps and widgets.  You control it all right from your remote.  I found it interesting and filed it mentally.  Then, I open up the new Sports Illustrated and see an add for the new Samsung LED TV with apps and widgets popping out of it.  The tagline? CONNECTED! Yahoo Connected TV is powering all of this.  Its not just Samsung.  Sony, Vizio and LG are on board too. Then I realized, I am already tracking my fantasy football team through my U-Verse.  Its happening right in front of us.  Online video streaming to your TV is in full swing.  Blockbuster and Netflix are growing their online business aggressively.  Boxee is giving you online access from your TV (whether Hulu likes it or not.)  What does all this mean? Are we that lazy or that intrigued?  Probably a combination of both.

The more we talked, the more I really started to realize the implications of apps.  Not just for your mobile phones and TV's, but for other things.  Refrigerators, your thermostat, your coffee maker.  What if you could adjust the temperature in your house FROM YOUR PHONE?  What if you log in to your grocery list app and your fridge sends you a note saying "your out of milk?" Now that's useful!  Its going to happen.

Get up to speed:
Can Social Media Save Broadcast Television
Intel's Net-Enabled TV
Yahoo's Connected TV



Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment